Friday, August 7, 2015

Between Hovhaness & Harrison

I've started to listen to Alan Hovhaness' and Lou Harrison's musics in the end of May or early June this year. There are two songs that attract me, which are "Main Bersama-sama" by Lou Harrison and the first part of "Harp Concerto: Concerto for Harp and String Orchestra op. 267" by Alan Hovhaness. Let's start to listen to both of them, shall we?




Is it true that both songs has similar note or is it just my ears that play me up? It's just that they played it in different tempo and musical instrument that makes them sounds different. I feel conflicted since AFAIK, gamelan is pentatonic instrument. CMIIW, Hovhaness and Harrison worked in the same era and have collaborated in making a composition.  Could somebody else that have been formally studying music confirm this matter? I will be much appreciate your answers :)

1 comment: